Medical Billing Certification Vendor CEU Pre-Approval
AMBA CEU Pre-ApprovalThe American Medical Billing Association (AMBA) grants prior approval for continuing education programs based on the relevance of the content to the medical billing, coding and reimbursement.
In order to retain the CMRS credential, billers are required to obtain 15 annual continuing education units of which 50% must come from AMBA effective Jan 1, 2008. Participation with continuing education billing, reimbursement and coding seminars, workshops, and publications are approved methods of obtaining continuing education units.
The purpose of granting prior approval is:
- Vendor may receive advance prior approval.
- More CEUs awarded than non-prior approved.
- Products/Services will be included on the AMBA website and marketed to CMRS billers.
Requirements for Prior Approval
- Prior approval is requested by submitting the AMBA CEU Program Pre-Approval form.
The required application fee, program agenda and times must accompany the form. The form must be submitted to AMBA 30 days before the program date. The form is located below.
- A single application will cover the same program offered at different sites on different dates for a 12-month period, beginning with the date of the application. Each program requires a separate prior approval application and fee.
- Credit hours are awarded for education program time based on 50 minute periods and will be rounded up or down to the nearest ½ hour. For instance, 45 minutes will be rounded up to 1 hour.
- Only program content applicable to billing professionals are eligible for CEUs. CEU credit hours are awarded for the educational portion of the program only. Registration, breaks, tours, and other noneducational activities are not eligible for CEUs.
- Pre-approved courses may use the AMBA Pre-approved CEU logo. It must contain the following wording along with the logo: “This program has been pre-approved by the American Medical Billing Association for ________ continuing education units. Granting of prior approval in no way constitutes endorsement by AMBA of the program content or the program sponsor.”
Instructions for Applying
- Complete prior approval application.
- Submit a copy of your publication or program agenda including brief summary of what is being covered as well as time allotted for class time, breaks and lunch.
- Annual application fee of $200 for each program.
Questions about this process should be addressed to Larry Weston.
AMBA CEU Program Pre-Approval Form »